About Blind Raccoon
BETSIE BROWN has over twenty-five years of experience in entertainment and music promotion, media relations & marketing communications, based in Memphis, San Diego, New York and London. Brown established Blind Raccoon in 2008, after a seven-year partnership in Crows Feet Productions. We provide radio promotion and publicity services, social media promotion and marketing consultation in the blues, roots, rock, R&B, soul, Americana and folk music genres.
Professional and community involvement:
- Recipient of the 2009 KBA Award “Publicist of the Year” bestowed by The Blues Foundation
- Member of the Board of the Memphis Chapter of the Recording Academy 2010-12 and 2007-9
- Former Board Member of the Memphis & Shelby County Music Commission
- Board Member (2007-10 & 2002-5) and Vice President (2005) of The Blues Foundation
- Member of The Blues Foundation
- Member of the Americana Music Association
- Former Member of the Folk Alliance
- 2004 and 2005 Chair of the International Blues Challenge, produced by The Blues Foundation
- Board Member and Communications Chairperson of the former Blues Music Association
SALLIE BENGTSON handles the social media strategy and management for Blind Raccoon as part of our business partnership with Nola Blue, Inc. A music aficionado with a heart full of blues, Sallie is co-owner of our joint record label, Blue Heart Records. She holds a degree in Business Administration and Management from Albright College, a Hootsuite Social Media Certification, and has more than thirty years of business experience in various administrative, management and ownership roles.
Sallie is on the board of the Blues Society of Central Pennsylvania, where she serves as the Education Committee chair. She is also a member of the Harrisburg Area Community College Music Business Advisory Panel.
RICK J BOWEN is Blind Raccoon’s writer in residence. Rick is serving his sixth year as Vice President for the Washington Blues Society; the second largest non-profit affiliate of the Blues Foundation. By day he is a contributing writer at Northwest Music Scene, the Washington Blues Society, and A&R at Dreams We Share, a division of Lee Oskar productions. By night he is a member of the award-winning Stacy Jones Band, and in the host band of the award-winning Unbound Blues jam night and the award winning Monday Night Blues Revue (MAD BOJO) at the Madison Pub. A Ten-time winner of the Washington Blues Society “Best of the Blues,” award for Blues Writer, three-time Blues Drummer award winner and proud recipient of the “Keeping The Blues Alive” award in 2018.
Named after Memphis Minnie, MS. MINNIE (R.I.P.) was an essential part of the team listening to ideas and providing input via purrs and meows, lowering blood pressure by allowing strokes, and always there in sickness and in health.
ROCKY is an invaluable member of the team as the symbol of our brand. Found in the attic in Memphis, Rocky never looked back.